A sobriety checkpoint was conducted in Lee County at 7070 College Parkway, Fort Myers on Friday, Jan. 20, 2012. All vehicles traveling south on US 41 were checked. The following are the results of the activity that began at 11 p.m. and ended at 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning:
- DUI Arrests: 06
- Driving While License Suspended: 02
- No Valid Drivers License: 04
- Possession of a controlled substance: 01
- Citations issued: 23
- Number of Vehicles passing through checkpoint: 584
The primary emphasis for checkpoints is to:
1. Remove impaired drivers from the roadway
2. Reduce the likelihood impaired drivers will operate their vehicles on our roadways
3. Heighten public awareness
4. Educate the public on the dangers of drunk driving.
This weekend's checkpoint involved members of the Lee County Sheriff's Office, Fort Myers Police Department and the Florida Department of Transportation.